At University Hospital Feb. 2011

At University Hospital Feb. 2011
February 11, 2011 at University of Utah Hospital

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cycle 4, Day 1

We're off track! Ordinarily Day 1 would have been yesterday at Huntsman. But Phil wanted to be infused in Moab at the new Moab Regional Hospital, so we're off a day.

The first step is always a blood test to check Phil's white blood cell count, among other things. If all's good, the doctor decides how much chemo Phil can tolerate and writes a prescription, which the lab fills and sends to the infusion center. Because Phil will have this treatment in Moab, the blood work was done yesterday and sent out to be read. Then Huntsman is notified and sends a prescription to the hospital in Grand Junction, CO, where the chemicals are prepared and sent to Moab. Consequently, we wait! Which doesn't bother Phil, but it's really bugging me!

I have my biannual Regional Staff Meeting in Richfield tomorrow and since I've missed all training this year, I can't really afford to miss this one. If Phil had finished his 7 hour infusion yesterday, I would feel a lot better about leaving him on a portable pump today and tomorrow. But Phil insists that I go anyway, and that he will be OK. Yikes, this is really, really hard, but I know he can do it and I have to let him.

So the chemo is on it's way to Moab and Phil will leave work and report to the infusion lab at 12:30 p.m. I'm about to leave Blanding and will see Phil briefly in Moab, on my way to Richfield! I don't like this at all, but life goes on and sometimes we have to do the responsible thing, whether we like it or not.

Thank Heaven Phil has such a strong support system in Moab. While I'm gone, Shon Walter and his family will be watching over my sweetheart till I get back. Phil and I are so thankful for these angels on earth!

More later . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment